Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Plant Manager
About Vermont Smoke & Cure
Vermont Smoke and Cure is GROWING and we want you to be a part of our journey! If you want to be a part of a small company, enjoy working as part of a team, and love a challenge, you’re a great fit!
At Vermont Smoke & Cure, we’ve been consciously crafting delicious smoked meats using humanely raised meats and simple local ingredients since 1962. We make everything right here in the hills of Vermont. Our Members are the heart of our organization and our growth requires quality-minded, productive, engaged, and reliable people to join our staff. We have several open positions, apply and we can chat about what you’re looking for!
The Production Supervisor will perform as a proactive “change agent” in the manufacturing facility and provide support and direction to members of a work team. The Supervisor will be expected to lead, motivate, and facilitate learning for members to achieve production results improve individual skills, and enhance teamwork; ensure compliance with safety, quality, and sanitation requirements; function as a technical and business resource in areas of responsibility; work towards continuous improvements in performance measures by leading actions for assigned areas; and establish and sustain effective relationships with all members and departments in order to foster an environment where innovation, cooperation and ownership are used to solve problems.
- Evaluate and coordinate training needs and efforts of the assigned team for the current production processes and integrate quality and safety training standards
- Effectively conduct team meetings
- Provides coverage in the absence of other Production Supervisors, direct reports, and the Plant Manager
- Teaches and develops the decision-making skills of the production staff
- Drives continuous improvement of the production process. Participates in continuous improvement planning, implementation and reporting to team.
- Supports and directs area teams to achieve targeted goals
- Plans, coordinates, and advises production members of work to be completed daily
- Monitor progress of the team in four critical success areas (safety, quality, cost, and service)
- Develop and execute improvement plans in all four critical success areas
- Coach and guide team members in need of development and lead the disciplinary process by determining what, if any, discipline is needed
- Ensures quality and efficiency/productivity of production at all stages of the process
- Assists with the development of an effective production schedule at the plant level and complete all necessary documentation in a timely manner
- Evaluate staffing needs of the production lines and maintain budgeted resources to maximize line output
- Effectively manage all aspects of safety in all areas; address issues with safety immediately, reporting, training and be a safety champion.
- Work with outside contractors on plant projects.
- Effectively communicate information to members, leaders, and peers
- Demonstrates working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices, Food Security, HACCP, and laboratory methods
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively and efficiently
- Ability to lead by example and involve others in decision-making process (team player)
- Excellent communication skills, including teaching, learning, and coaching
- Demonstrates ability to positively contribute to a team environment
- Ability to innovate
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and be flexible by adjusting priorities
- Associate Degree or bachelor’s degree is preferred for outside candidates. Internal candidates who do not have an advanced degree must commit to continuing their education. High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience
Vermont Smoke & Cure is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.